Ontario Place for All Statement

Toronto, Jan 18, 2019 – Ontario Place For All [https://www.ontarioplaceforall.com/] is calling on the Ontario government to put its redevelopment plans for the lakefront park on hold.

The Ontario Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sports announced today the government is interested in turning Ontario Place into an “attraction that could include exciting sport and entertainment landmarks, public spaces or shopping.” Michael Tibollo said the areas open for redevelopment include “the Ontario Place Islands, mainland, pods and the Cinesphere.”

Ontario Place For All says this promises to destroy Ontario Place and the vision that has guided it for decades. Spokesperson Suzanne Kavanagh says “there has been some really great planning work on Ontario Place in recent years and opening the park up for private sector bids throws all that planning out the window.”

Former Premier William Davis has added his voice to the protection of Ontario Place. He said last week that “it would be a shame and a disservice if commercial gain replaced the public interest on the present site of Ontario Place.”

Ontario Place For All believes the renewal of Ontario Place must be guided by five principles.

• Ontario Place for ALL, it must be kept publicly accessible
• Public Interest, not commercial interest must drive the new vision
• No casino
• Any changes must be part of a thoughtful, comprehensive public review process
• A full and robust public consultation
• Recognition of the waterfront’s Indigenous heritage

The principles were developed at a rally last weekend where 150 supporters of Ontario Place vowed to ensure that Ontario Place becomes the kind of great park Ontarians all want.

For more Information, contact:

Cynthia Wilkey (416) 892-8941
or
Suzanne Kavanagh (647) 309-4365

Latest posts

Join us May 21 for Speaker Series 13, "Villiers Island: Hang on a Minute! Let's take a 2nd look at the plan."

Villiers Island: Hang on a Minute! Let’s take a second look at the plan.

Join us on Tuesday, May 21, 7 pm (Zoom) for critical and constructive panel discussion on the plan for Villiers Island. 

CLICK HERE TO RSVP.

WfA has been broadly supportive of Waterfront Toronto's work over the years, but true friends owe their friends open and constructive dialogue.  So inspired by recent discussions of the recently amemded Villiers Island plan, including critical assessment by the Globe & Mail's Alex Bozikovics and a commentary by architecture and planning firm Smart Density, we felt that it was urgent to give voice to legitimate and constructive concerns about the Villiers Island Plan prior to its consideration by City Council in June. 

To that end we've put together a panel of community activists, housing activists and urban planners to take a second look at the Villiers Island plan. 

FEATURING: 

  • Norm di Pasquale — City Activist (NoJetsTO, past Board of Education Trustee)
  • Eric Lombardi — Housing Advocate, More Neighbours Toronto
  • Mark Richardson — Technical Lead, HousingNowTO
  • Blair Scorgie — Registered Professional Planner, Urban Designer, Lecturer TMU

 

A successful & enlightening evening at Bathurst Quay .

We had a fabulous evening on Tuesday, May 7 at Bathurst Quay, with our featured guest, Bryan Bowan, City of Toronto Program Manager for Bathurst Quay Common, and special guest, William Peat of the Canada Ireland Foundation. We were also very pleased to be joined by Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik. 

The Canada Ireland Foundation is leading the development of The Corleck, a new centre for arts, culture and heritage that will be flanked by and the Bathurst Quay Common. Both are located beside Ireland Park,  which the foundation spearheaded and fundraised for, in co-operation with the City of Toronto, the restored Canada Malting Silos. 


Waterfront for All Board Member, Edward Nixon (left), welcomed attendees and introduced, the City of Toronto's Bryan Bowen (right).

 


Deputy Mayor, Ausma Malik, spoke about the creativity and commitment of the local community, including the the efforts of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Association to champion the revitalization of the area, and the key role City staff played in realizing the project. 


William Peat Executive Director of the Canada Ireland Foundation spoke about The Corleck which is expected to open in 2025.

Share this page

Sign up for updates

Email: